Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SUUBI!



A couple months ago I heard about SUUBI from some friends who knew that I would appreciate it both as art and as a way to give. A project from the non-profit Light Gives Heat, SUUBI is a rad little community program started by some twenty-somethings who traveled to Africa to adopt their daughter and came across a great way to help women in Uganda.


So, SUUBI?

SUUBI is the Lugandan word for HOPE. The selling of their artwork provides Hope to women in Uganda. Here's what the SUUBI website says about their goals...

HOPE is the essence of the Suubi (hope) project and our vision is two-fold:

1) The Suubi (hope) project is about creating consistent weekly incomes in otherwise unemployable areas in Uganda through the purchasing and reselling of these hand-make necklaces. Thus, allowing for women to provide food and pay school fees for their children.

2) In Uganda, we have been shown a HOPE that doesn't make sense and has changed everything. Therefore, we simply want to spread HOPE - sharing the stories of these amazing women and getting people across the world to look outside of themselves and respond creatively.

So, I was excited. I bought a necklace and then learned about the spread campaign. It's a way that I'm able to get more involved and give you the opportunity to join me. It's not just about getting a cool, handmade piece of African art (although that's awesome) it is a great way to raise awareness and give back! SUUBI sent me a supply of necklaces to offer. Here's the great options I've got...
$20.oo - Long multi-colored necklace, can be worn double, tripled or even as a bracelet, sweet stuff!

$15.oo - Slim version of the multi-colored necklace. I love this one, also really long and super versatile.

$10.oo - The choker version, great for guys or girls!

Perfect for gift giving!

So, here's the deal. I'm all about alternative Christmas. I've been giving you bits and pieces, but a full explanation is on it's way. SUUBI is a great way to get involved. Buy a necklace (or two or three) for gifts this year and help give to those need it most!

I've got a limited supply so, if you would like to purchase some SUUBI, or have questions please e-mail me... simplespiel@gmail.com, and I'll get you all fixed up! And if you can't afford to help this year, your prayers and spreading of the word would be amazing. Tell your friends about SUUBI! Share some hope this holiday!

P.S. My goal is to get 'em sold by Christmas...let's do it!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I want 2 I think...but you are in the cubicle in front of me so I can just actually tell you in person...I just wanted official dibs:)

It's a revolution...and we're starting one mailbox at a time.