Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Home....




















In attempts to keep the revolution alive I must admit it seems as though over the past few weeks Simple Spiel has been on the back burner. This was not intentional and, truth be told, I haven't been home.

Home where I have my home office, where I am free to create, spread out, and don't have to clean up unless I feel like it. See, I tend to make chaos when I create. I am visual, I have to see everything, the colors, textures and layers inspire me. I'm longing to be in a place of great inspiration. At "home" in my design, which has lead me to thinking about home. Really what is home? And when does the place I live feel like home?

I must admit that I (at the present time) feel homeless. I am blessed to have a roof over my head, I have someone greater than I realize, who provides all, and recently I have been so clearly reminded of that fact. So the roof is there but it seems like a different roof every night.

I try to think back to when the last time was that I felt at home. Honestly, I think it may have been my junior year in college. It was the last time I didn't feel transient. Time passes so quickly, I have moved 8 times since then and I felt "at home" where I was living, but I have never felt like my place of residence has been my home.

I know that some may envy my situation, not being responsible for much, able to "fly by the seat of my pants", and living my dreams. But with dreams (I have come to learn) come sacrifices, and some of those are so unexpected. I'm starting my own business, I expected to sacrifice, time, finances, etc., but never my home. And I'm to the point where I miss home, and it's so much more than a place to put my stuff, although that is part of it.

Home to me is a place where worries drop at the door and confidence thrives. Where self-expression surrounds me. Where I can be myself with those I love and a place that you never want to leave. I want home. This whole rant is not intended to be a downer. See what I realize about home is that it can have different forms. It's not only a roof. It's the people you are surrounded by, it's where you find peace when the world is crazy, and it can be any place that you find yourself at your best.

The truth is this home is temporary, so it's ok if I never feel at home. I don't want to become too attached when there is a better home, one that is forever.

So I keep on keepin' on. My etsy shop may not reflect it lately, but I have been working. The revolution is alive and expect new things to be happening real soon. So take some time today to send some snail mail...to someone @ home.

Cheers!

2 comments:

T said...

I think it must be said that the old cliche is true...home is where the heart is.:-) (Someone had to say it!)

Brandi said...

I know what you mean about home. I have felt so out of place since being back here in Oregon. I can't wait to get my own place here in the next few months. Just having your own things around you and having the feeling of comfort if priceless.

It's a revolution...and we're starting one mailbox at a time.