Tuesday, August 12, 2008

No big deal, just savin' THE WORLD.

This is my friend Matt. If you haven't already checked out his website go here and read all about his adventure. Matt set out a couple months ago to spend time in Africa with his little bro (Ryan) and missionary friends (Joey, Destiny and their daughter Mercy). I'd tell you all about it but the guy is a much better writer than I and it is truly better in his own words. Let me just say Matt amazes me. Filled with faith, this tall cat left his job, peeps and all that he was "comfortable" with to travel around the world to Africa and learn all he can about poverty, injustice and such. He is in a place, faced with dirty, sickening, horrific situations that most of us will never even begin to relate to. Talk about bold. Turns out he is the contagious type. Since Matt left I have found myself being "that girl". The girl looks around her and sees the amazing amounts of resources that we squander away on a daily basis. I am so guilty of it myself. Last night my friends and I watched the Olympics. I love the Olympics.

Side Note: Why is it that when I watch I feel the need to judge each athlete's performance? Like I know anything! Don't we all get so into it that we suddenly feel like some sort of sports authority. When, truth be told, the Olympic games are the only time we see some of these athletes. Anywho...

I'm watching with new eyes, looking at the amazing buildings they have constructed to hold tons of people. State of the art facilities that are not only functional but also super artistic. I wonder how much was spent on this stuff...so I get my Google on. 3.4 billion! Seriously. I all of a sudden find myself as somewhat of an Olympics hater. Torn between loving the event and wishing that those dollars could have been used in other ways. I have no idea how many starving children could be fed with 3.4 billion, or how much that amount of money would help AIDS research. All I know is that the number is huge. This is just one small example, one that happened to get me. I'm overwhelmed with examples around us all the time. I'm that girl.

So, I'm sitting there, getting fired up. Fired up about something that I can't do anything about. I'm not going to change Olympic history. I'm not going to convince "the powers that be" to give sacrificially to others and dive into stopping all the world's gross injustices. But yet I'm left with a guilty feeling. I know I don't have much, but what am I doing? It is not fair to sit around and complain about how others are using their resources without first checking my own situation.

When Matt left, everyone asked me what he was going to be doing in Africa. I mostly replied, "Oh, you know, saving the world, no big deal." Mildly laced with sarcasm, this comment eats at me now. Matt is doing what he can to save the world, he has stepped out and the Lord is totally using him. Yesterday I was sharing with him about some stuff going on in my heart and I said that, "I guess this is where it's time to be bold." Matt's response: "It's not so much about being bold as it is about being willing." Geez, the guy has a way with words. But it's true. What are you willing to do for the Lord? What am I willing to do?

Just a glimpse into where my mind has been lately. If you hated this post you may want to stop reading my blog. I have a feeling that there will be a lot more of this sort of thing to come...

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Missy!
I agree with you 100% we are a spoiled nation that thinks nothing of wasting much. This "Super Hero" you mention in your blog used the word "willing". It IS about obedience and trusting HIM in such a way that you would die and risk it all for the name of Christ. Most of us sadly don't ever have that kind of faith or discipline. I've pretty much come to the conclusion this guy can probably scale tall buildings in 10seconds flat too. He spiritually puts us all to shame and in a place that causes us to reflect with God and ask "What can I do God?" The answer requires courage and a tremendous amount of faith.
Really there is a superhero in ALL of us. God is mission control and the rest follows according to His purpose. Find your cape today and hold on Wonder Woman! God's got a plan far greater than we could ever imagine. :) Love ya Sister!
-Terri

Sarah said...

I really like that Matt guy. Though I've yet to meet him...

Sometimes it's so hard to see beyond myself; I feel I don't have much, we live on little, yet I've been to Matt's blog-I've been given a glimpse of what he sees on a daily basis.

I must admit, I'm quite ashamed to feel I have little when there are so many with less.

Just willing huh? What am I willing to do for the Lord?

Holy heck, good question.

Lindsy said...

Love the post and love you!

It's a revolution...and we're starting one mailbox at a time.